Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
alert top story

Chesterfield details cause of pool incident that prompted hazmat response

  • Updated
  • 0
86483431

Artist's Powerful Exhibit Is Helping St. Paul's Episcopal Church Into Reconciliation - 8@4 presented by Massey Cancer Center

A pump malfunction was the cause of a hazmat incident at a Harpers Mill community pool Wednesday, the Chesterfield Fire Marshal’s Office said Friday.

Fire and emergency personnel responded to the 8600 block of Pullman Road at around 11:20 a.m., after dispatchers had received reports of a strange odor and children at the pool feeling ill.

Emergency crews used clean water to rinse and decontaminate 25 to 30 people who had been in the pool, officials said. Four children and an adult were taken to a hospital by ambulance while 11 others transported themselves, according to emergency officials. No serious injuries were reported.

A malfunction allowed a more-than-normal amount of a pool chemical to enter the pumping system, causing the problem, the fire marshal’s office said Friday. Pool staff followed all proper procedures.

LGerman@timesdispatch.com

(804) 649-6340

Twitter: @Lyndon_G

0 Comments

Related to this story

Listen now and subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS Feed | Omny Studio

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News