Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Five total cases of COVID-linked syndrome found in Richmond-area kids, more are being investigated

Five total cases of COVID-linked syndrome found in Richmond-area kids, more are being investigated

  • 0
20200729_MET_CHES_JM06

Ian Narvaez, 3, puts on a brave face as he is held by his mom, Katiria Serrano at a Chesterfield County Covid-19 testing site at Crystal Lake Apartments on Wednesday, July 29, 2020. His sister, Amaya Narvez, 8, (top left) looks a bit more apprehensive as she awaits her turn. 

Virginia launches unified vaccination pre-registration site and call center

Five cases of an inflammatory syndrome that afflicts young people weeks after a coronavirus infection have been found in the Richmond area. More are being investigated.

In a media release Monday, the Virginia Department of Health said the increase in these cases “coincides with the surge in cases of COVID-19” in the Chickahominy, Chesterfield, and Richmond and Henrico health districts following a post-holiday spike.

This is the first set of cases recorded in the region. At least one is in each locality, though the VDH isn’t releasing further information for privacy reasons.

Called “multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children,” or MIS-C, the illness remains relatively rare. Its symptoms include fever, rash or gastrointestinal problems in people as young as 1 year old and as old as 20, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. At its worst, the syndrome can constrict the heart from pumping enough blood.

According to the CDC, 99% of cases tested positive for the virus and the remaining 1% were exposed to COVID-19.

Almost 70% of these cases have been found in Black or Latino children. More than 75% of kids who died due to COVID-19 were Black, Latino or Indigenous, according to federal data. Nearly half were Hispanic.

“Our heartfelt concerns are with these children and their families,” said Dr. Tom Franck, Chickahominy Health District director. “These cases serve as an important reminder that COVID-19 can affect people of all ages. Even as our vaccination campaign continues to reach more and more people, we cannot let our guard down and we must continue to take precautions to prevent the spread of this infection.”

Other states such as California, New Jersey and Pennsylvania have reported a similar alarming jump, with a higher percentage of patients with the condition arriving at hospitals.

The latest available federal update on Feb. 8 from the CDC noted 2,060 cases and 30 deaths. The VDH site listed 18 total cases and no deaths in Virginia as of Monday.

This number doesn’t include Monday’s report of new infections but with the Richmond-area cases, the region is roughly 1 in 5 of the state’s MIS-C count.

Currently, the health districts with the most are Fairfax and Prince William with four cases each.

smoreno@timesdispatch.com

(804) 649-6103

Twitter: @sabrinaamorenoo

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News