No one was injured in a fire that caused significant damage to a methane gas reclamation facility at a landfill in western Henrico County.
Henrico fire Capt. Daniel Rosenbaum said the fire was reported at 10:41 a.m. Wednesday at the county's landfill in the 10600 block of Ford Country Lane, just off Nuckols Road.
The first crews on scene found fire coming from three of the 12 generators at the facility. The fire, marked under control at 11:12 a.m., caused heavy damage to the generators and resulted in officials having to shut down the facility for an undetermined amount of time, Rosenbaum said.
The generators are part of a county-owned facility that is leased to Ingenco, which captures methane from the decomposition of garbage and uses it to run generators. The power from the generators, in turn, is sent to the Dominion Virginia Power grid as needed.