Grammy-winning songwriter Richard Leigh is known for hits such as “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue,” but he has fans around the Virginia Community College System for other reasons.
Leigh, who attended Virginia Highlands Community College in Abingdon, is an active supporter of Great Expectations, a Virginia community college program that helps foster-care youth continue their education after they age out of the system.
For his efforts, he has been honored with a national outstanding community college alumni award from the American Association of Community Colleges. Other alumni of state community colleges who have made their mark:
- State Sen. Kenneth C. Alexander, D-Norfolk; John Tyler Community College
- State Sen. Charles W. Carrico Sr., R-Grayson; Virginia Highlands
- State Sen. Rosalyn R. Dance, D-Petersburg; John Tyler
- Margaret Lewis, retired executive for HCA Inc. and CJW Hospitals; John Tyler
- Del. Robert D. Orrock Sr., R-Caroline; Germanna Community College
- Ted Shockley, executive editor of the Delmarva Media Group; Eastern Shore Community College
— Karin Kapsidelis