Ukrop's crumb cake picked up by Kroger will be sold nationwide
Henrico should pick up old recycling bins
Kudos to Henrico County for providing 90,000 county homes with 95-gallon “super can” rolling recycling carts at no charge. This will certainly make recycling easier and increase the amount of Henrico’s waste that is recycled. What a shame, however, that the county did not offer pick-up and recycling of the old collection bins. If each home has four bins like I do, that’s 360,000 bins headed for the landfill.
While I reviewed all of the county’s self-congratulatory materials about the new cans, I had to go to the Central Virginia Waste Management Authority website to learn that old bins may be dropped off at either of Henrico’s Public Use Areas. The number of people who will drive to a facility and wait in line to recycle the bins will be minimal. It would have been so easy to arrange a pick-up of old bins.
How would the county pay for it? Perhaps with a small portion of the $11.2 million it will be returning to taxpayers in August from surplus real estate taxes. Collecting the bins seems like such an obvious conclusion to a great program. It’s disappointing the county did not implement it.
From the Archives: Richmond Department Stores
New chest president - William B. Thalhimer Jr. (right) moved into the driver's seat yesterday after he was elected 1959 president of the Richmond Area Community Chest at a meeting of Chest trustees. He succeeds W. Stirling King. Thalhimer, president and general manager of Thalhimers, Inc., has been a Chest volunteer since 1934. William B. Thalhimer Jr., shown in 1959 in his role as president of the Richmond Area Community Chest. The man on the left is W. Stirling King, a former mayor of Richmond and Thalhimer's immediate predecessor as Community Chest president.
This December 1950 image of East Broad Street at Fifth Street in downtown Richmond shows crowds of holiday shoppers visiting such stores as Baker's, Peoples Drug, Swatty's Pants, Haverty's Furniture and Raylass Department Store.
In October 1955, a U.S. mail truck navigated Broad Street downtown across from the Thalhimers and Miller & Rhoads department stores.
This February 1953 image shows the old Miller & Rhoads Corner Shop and the adjoining Woolworth’s at Fifth and East Broad streets downtown, just before they were torn down. The replacement building that opened the following year still housed the two retailers but in a different configuration.
In January 1975, shoppers passed by “the clock” at Miller & Rhoads in downtown Richmond. The distinct timepiece with four faces was installed in the department store in the mid-1920s; it can be seen today at the Valentine Richmond History Center.
In May 1936, the Charles Stores Company department store opened on East Broad Street between First and Foushee streets. This store featured 23 departments, and some grand opening specials included women’s dresses and white shoes for $1 and men’s dress shirts for 50 cents. A parking lot now occupies the site. 5-7-1936: New location of the Charles Stores at 13-17 East Broad Street. Lease negotiations were handled by the office of Gordon E. Strause.
In March 1967, Miller & Rhoads opened its new “Collector’s Corner” between the Tea Room and the Ladies Room on the fifth floor of the East Broad Street store downtown. The new department included antiques, reproductions of old furniture, china, silver and curios.
On Dec. 23, 1968, Stanley S. Kidwell Jr. and his three children – from left, 5-year-old Rhanna, 7-year-old Megan and 8-year-old Wendy – watched the stuffed animals prance in the snow in the window display of Miller & Rhoads downtown. Under the direction of Addison Lewis, the Miller & Rhoads Christmas window displays became one of the most anticipated parts of the season in Richmond.
P.A. Gormus, Jr.
This June 1950 image shows the Harper’s Department Store at 201 E. Broad St. The store opened in 1933 as The Linen Mart. After closing in 2006, the store was sold to developers who found the contents to be a bit like a time capsule, with items dating back decades – including a men’s leather jacket priced at $10 and a boy’s three-piece wool suit with dress shirt for $4.99. The contents were bought by two local collectors. The building still stands unoccupied. Harper's Inc. 201 E. Broad, T-D Mag.
This May 1957 image shows the Woolworth’s at Fifth and Broad streets in downtown Richmond. The $1 million building opened in September 1954, and it housed several departments for the nearby Miller & Rhoads, which had an earlier store on the site in the late 1800s. An ad for the Woolworth’s Easter sale offered handbags for $1, records for 99 cents, and cowhide and plastic belts for between 39 and 98 cents.
Thalhimers added a new entrance to its downtown store the same year of the 1929 stock market crash.
In August 1954, J. Harold Dunn worked to set up his Dunn Bros. miniature circus – “the biggest little show on Earth,” as it proclaimed itself – at Miller & Rhoads in downtown Richmond. Admission was 25 cents for adults, 15 cents for children 12 and younger. Several years earlier, the newspaper reported that the 475,000-piece circus took five men 48 hours to set up on a 60-by-28 foot-table – and seven hours to break down.
In February 1951, this window display, using Richmond Times-Dispatch and Richmond News-Leader pages for a background, was set up in a Grace Street window of Miller & Rhoads in connection with the approach of Easter and new spring finery. Addison Lewis was director of window displays at the department store for 52 years, a span in which the scenes became extremely popular.
In August 1951, saleswoman Eunice Hester tried to help Robert Matthews select a fragrance for his lady at the Miller & Rhoads department store in Richmond. A caption that accompanied the published photo referred to “the dilemma of the he-man caught in the task of perfume selection.”
In December 1968, the first licenses since 1916 for the legal sale of mixed liquors by the drink in Richmond were issued. Here, Cornelius T. Rogers mixed a drink at the Hotel John Marshall’s Captain’s Grill restaurant while bartender Richard Kelley watched.
In November 1978, African-American women gathered for a beauty clinic at the Thalhimers at Eastgate Mall in Richmond. The clinic, sponsored by Fashion Fair, brought in beauty professionals including Pearl Hester (standing at right) to demonstrate makeup techniques.
In October 1955, famed chef James Beard visited Thalhimer's new fine foods shop and conducted cooking demonstrations. Beard enjoyed dining on ham on Mondays, but he parted with tradition when carving Virginia's own Smithfield ham: He preferred the European method of slicing it crosswise in long, thin slices that begin near the shank end and run roughly parallel to the bone. The annual James Beard Foundation Awards will be announced today and on Monday. The foundation, formed after Beard's death in 1985, issued its first awards in 1991.