'Derby Bill' predicts the Kentucky Derby
“Derby Bill” Watson was the official handicapper at Colonial Downs for six years and has been a professional handicapper for 24. Hear him, Nick Hahn, Frank Vespe, Mike Barone and Darrell Wood each Saturday from 10-11 a.m. on “Off to the Races” on WXGI or theracingbiz.com. Watson’s Kentucky Derby superfecta: No. 15 Rock Your World; No. 1 Known Agenda; No. 8 Medina Spirit; No. 14 Essential Quality.
Horse Jockey Trainer Odds
1. Known Agenda Irad Ortiz Jr. Todd Pletcher 6/1
Pletcher catches the dreaded rail with the Florida Derby champ. Colt does have four starts at 1⅛ miles.
2. Like the King Drayden Van Dyke Wesley Ward 50/1
Grade 3 win at Turfway earns spot, same as 137th Derby champ Animal Kingdom. Sire won '13 Belmont Stakes.
3. Brooklyn Strong Umberto Rispoli Daniel Velazquez 50/1
$5,000 purchase by Brooklyn native owner has earned $225 large as last one in Derby.
4. Keepmeinmind David Cohen Robertino Diodoro 50/1
Sixth in Rebel Stakes, fifth in Bluegrass keeps solid 2-year-old background way out of my mind.
5. Sainthood Corey Lanerie Todd Pletcher 50/1
Owner combo won 2018 Triple Crown with Justify, but Sainthood title to anyone picking this longshot.
6. O Besos Marcelino Pedroza Gregory Foley 20/1
Daddy was 2013 Derby champ Orb and may be the only true closer here, with improving numbers every race.
7. Mandaloun Florent Geroux Brad Cox 15/1
Post-time favorite every race, until now. Last colt to win Derby off fifth or worse prep race was 1956 Needles.
8. Medina Spirit John Velazquez Bob Baffert 15/1
Baffert's 3-year-olds demand respect. This gritty fifth-stringer is steadily in the money, a rare value at 15/1.
9. Hot Rod Charlie Flavien Prat Doug O’Neill 8/1
Louisiana Derby champ rested. O‘Neill looking for Derby hat trick (2012 I’ll Have Another and 2016 Nyquist).
10. Midnight Bourbon Mike Smith Steven Asmussen 20/1
7-for-7 record in the moolah! Tiznow-sired switches to Mike Smith, who is adding his 27th Derby.
11. Dynamic One Jose Ortiz Todd Pletcher 20/1
Lost to 72/1 Bourbonic, with owner Mike Repole needing something stronger than his Vitamin Water.
12. Helium Julien Leparoux Mark Casse 50/1
Tampa Bay Derby winner was not Super Bowl-like vs. possibly weakest competition since 7-9 NFL division winner.
13. Hidden tash Rafael Bejarano Victoria Oliver 50/1
Female trainer and Syracuse basketball coach/owner looking for Cinderella Final Four finish.
14. Essential Quality Luis Saez Brad Cox 2/1
0-11 Derby record has the Sheik Mohammed Bin far from the ruler of Churchill Downs ... until now?
15. Rock Your World Joel Rosario John Sadler 5/1
First win on dirt was Santa Anita Derby, where 10 winners have gone on to win the Kentucky Derby.
16. King Fury Brian Hernandez Jr. Kenneth McPeek 20/1
Lexington win has Curlin-sired colt rolling; has Virginia Derby/Oaks Champion trainer; two wins at Churchill.
17. Highly Motivated Javier Castellano Chad Brown 10/1
History says Bluegrass Stakes losers far better in Derby (Street Sense 2007 and Thunder Gulch 1995).
18. Super Stock Ricardo Santana Jr. Steven Asmussen 30/1
Owner Erv Woolsey has steered career of Arkansas Derby winner and country music great George Strait.
19. Sour and Sandwich Tyler Gaffalione Mark Casse 30/1
Owner on board with Campbell Soup Co. But must add some spice to be M'm! M'm! Good! vs. tougher field.
20. Boubonic Kendrick Carmouche Todd Pletcher 30/1
Stunned at 72/1 in Wood Memorial win. Does historic Calumet Farm has another Carmouche stunner in tank?